It’s not going to come as a surprise to any of you that weddings are expensive. The average cost of a wedding is nearing $30,000. Isn’t that crazy? I know Dave and I weren’t keen on the idea of spending $30K ok our wedding, so we found many tactics that we could use to save money on our wedding. And they were definitely worth it! So today, I’m going to share 20 tips to help you save money on your wedding too!
1. Cut the guest list. Fewer guests = fewer invitations, fewer centerpieces, and fewer meals. It’s one of the best ways to cut costs!
2. Have your wedding in an off-peak time of year (think November-March). Prices can be as reduced by as much as half.
3. Skip the Saturday wedding. Fridays and Sundays still work for guests and aren’t as expensive.
4. Have a brunch wedding instead of dinner. You can have a shorter reception, serve cheaper food, and save on booze.
5. Buy a used wedding dress. There are tons of people selling their dresses online (usually worn only once) for a fraction of the cost!
6. Have a limited bar. Think beer and wine instead of cocktails.
7. Skip the tiered wedding cake. Go with cupcakes or a sheet cake.
8. Hire a photography student as your photographer. They’re definitely cheaper, but still have some experience.
9. Skip the wedding favors. They aren’t required and your guests won’t miss them!
10. Buy printable wedding invites. You can buy printable invite packages on Etsy (my shop sells them!) and print them yourself or at a local printer.
11. Skip the other paper items. Things like programs and menu cards are totally unnecessary.
12. Go with silk flowers instead of real. You can get them at a hugely reduced price.
13. Supply your own booze. Not all venues will let you do this, but you can save a ton of money if you do.
14. Have a friend ordained to serve as your officiant instead of hiring someone.
15. Repurpose the bouquets. After the ceremony and pictures, our bouquets doubles as centerpieces for the head table!
16. Sometimes just asking your vendor for a lower price is all it takes. We got a lower price on the venue, photographer, and DJ just by asking about a Sunday discount!
17. Have a long engagement. We were able to save a lot of money by booking our vendors super early. We were also engaged during two Black’s Fridays and were able to buy a ton of stuff on sale.
18. Less is more. Our reception venue was beautiful and white. We decided not to fill it with too many decorations, and it looked great!
19. Have your wedding at a hotel. No travel costs for the wedding party or the guests, and most hotels I looked at offered a free banquet hall for buying food and drink through them.
20. Open a rewards credit card. By open a travel rewards card and using it on all wedding expenses, we were able to save nearly $1,000 on our honeymoon!
How did you (or will you) save money on your wedding?
JOIN THE TRIBE!
Sign up to get a list of my favorite tools and resources for staying productive!